Woodford Mansion, built in 1756, was the first of the late-Georgian mansion to be built in Philadelphia. It's history of ownership has been varied through the Colonial, Revolutionary, and Civil War-era history of Philadelphia.
Originally built for Pennsylvania Supreme Court Justice William Coleman, the house was sold to Alexander Barclay, His Majesty's Customs Comptroller for the port of Philadelphia. Upon his death, the house was bought by his brother-in-law David Franks who was a staunch loyalist to the monarchy. Once the British occupation of Philadelphia ended, Benedict Arnold was dispatched to arrest Franks for treason. When Franks and other Tories were ordered to leave, he transferred ownership of the home to Thomas Paschall to settle a debt. Paschal never lived at Woodford, instead renting it out until the home was sold to Issac Wharton in 1793. Woodford served as the summer home of the Wharton family for the next 75 years, until they sold it to the City of Philadelphia to become part of Fairmount Park. The city used it as park offices, traffic court, and lock-up until 1930, when it took on its current identity as a historic home museum with the donation of Naomi Wood's collection of Colonial household items and antique furniture for permanent display.
The collection includes more than 1,000 pieces which match the home's period and history, including furniture made by the finest Colonial craftsman, paintings, Delftware, pewter clocks, period-specific textiles, and the everyday objects needed to operate an 18th-Century household.
Visit woodfordmansion.org for information about tour hours and special events.